Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Venting out feelings...




What you are seeing is the image of the place where the future administrators (they call themselves IAS aspirants) of the country bask under the sun with teacups in hands. I guess you could see the teacups strewn all over the place. I learnt district collectors have the responsibility to ensure the cleanliness of their districts. Pity those districts of our country. Welcome to a nameless tea shop (they serve Samosas and bread omelets as well) in Rajinder nagar. And thanks to some unknown Moneybags who had constructed that building u see in the picture with granite laid steps. Those two shops with shutters down has always remained closed ever since I came to Delhi. Of course, once one of the shops housed a ice cream parlor last year. The only visitor it had, as far as I’ve known, was my friend Amit. I would say the time of the year the shop opened was a misfit. It was during the winter. And you know Delhi’s winter, eh? Its heartless.
Well, without drifting away let me get to the point. That place ever since then were occupied by the “Tea-Drinkers”. It’s hard for civil service aspirants to survive without tea. Pity those who don’t drink tea because to go for tea outside, while your seat cools down, is a de-stressor. Going by science, it may sound oxymoronic. But believe me it’s a real de-stressor. Oops!! Why am I dwelling on tea as if my father owns a tea estate?
Actually I am here to vent my feelings out. To bemoan the fact that people who sat in that place for tea had not a bit of urge to throw their teacups in the trash bin, which was kept just 10 meters away. And not to mention that remnants of “Manikchand” Gutka that added more color to already red granite. What pains me more is that they are all, at least most of the people who came to the shop, IAS aspirants. I don’t know, maybe they would learn their basic duties and gain responsibilities overnight once they become IAS officers.
But who do we blame for all this negligence. Blame Mr. Moneybags who never pulled up people for this act? Or “Tea-Drinkers” who littered graciously, as if giving alms to beggars? Or, the minions of the shop for not cleaning it? Or those MCD sweepers who thought it wasn’t within their jurisdiction?
Blame it on the magnificent freedom this country has given us. Would we do this when our country had law to sever hands of those who littered? Or for that matter a nominal amount of fine for the breach? It is the lack o fear and the absence of palpable consequence that has ruined us. Our country needs not just education, but value education. They need to imbibe value in to the lives of our country men.

(This post was not intended to mortify IAS aspirants nor to harbor grudges against this society. But I cry within. )

2 comments:

  1. Nice to come across a fellow member of the "anti-littering' brigade! All the Best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is one thing that exasperates me too...u know looking at my friends who do something similar and then make excuses like "oh this place is already so dirty,wont get better by our not littering"...and yes this comes from the best of educated ppl,I wonder what values their parents passed onto them n what is it they call being civilised n educated.Well what I have come to arrive is that there's no correlation between ur level of education and ur mannerisms...I wish the law gets stricter and such ppl have to face the brunt of it.

    ReplyDelete