Thursday, June 08, 2006

Is World really that small??

The incident I’m just going to tell u about made me wonder is world really that small. It was two months back when I was traveling from chennai to Delhi by train. When it comes to traveling alone I always look forward to meeting someone I know, after all a journey of 33 hours without a company is like taking boredom to its peak. And this time it was full of strangers, as it always used to be, when I entered the train. There was an old man and his wife with their niece who had finished her tenth standard and was going to visit her mother and there was another army man. As the train moved we got introduced to each other. We shared food. Discussed movies. Discussed politics. The train moved on and so did the time. The next day there was another lady, in her mid twenties, from next bogie sat with us and struck up conversation with that school girl. I started speaking to her as well. She said her name is Archana* and she lives in Bangalore and would be moving to London with her husband next month. As many of my friends work in Bangalore I asked her where she and her husband worked. Then I got to know that her husband worked for a company where my friend Sabitha's* husband happened to have worked. “Who knows they might know each other. It’s a small world” I quipped to her. And my friend Sabitha now lives in Paris with her husband. I wanted to write to her about the person I met on the train. But to my surprise I got a mail from Sabitha last week. She said she had visited London and met one of their friend’s friend in a restaurant. And that person seemed to have asked about me. And she was none other than Archana- the person I met on the train. Chennai, Delhi, Bangalore, Paris, London. Now tell me is world really that small?? May be this something like what Thomas Friedman, an Amercian columnist, talks about it in his book " The world is flat".




(* Names changed just for the heck of it!!)

2 comments:

  1. A small world indeed! Though I played a role in this, reading through it now seems eerie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. voyance immediate

    ReplyDelete